Laura Plantation Tour
Go beyond the myths of the American South and explore the complex and intimate relationships of 4 generations of one Louisiana Creole family, both free and enslaved at Laura: A Creole Plantation, a major sugar plantation located on the banks of the Mississippi River, just one hour from New Orleans. Your admission includes a 70-minute tour with a knowledgeable guide who shares the rich history of Creole culture as seen through the lens of the family who owned Laura Plantation for generations. Tour the main house, grounds and slave quarters as you gain insight into the people who lived and worked here for centuries.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Led by a local guide
- Fully narrated tour
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Laura: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site, 2247 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-5409
-A guided tour offered daily in English/French.
-Tour includes Maison Principale, gardens, original 1840s slave cabins.
-Stories of 4 generations of one Louisiana Creole family, free and enslaved.
Duration: 2 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Laura Plantation: Louisiana's Creole Heritage Site, 2247 LA-18, Vacherie, LA 70090, USA
- Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Local guide
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Good walking shoes suggested
- A portion of the tour takes place outdoors
- Only the ground floor of the main house is ADA accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Tour is offered in French 1pm
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
Average 4.60 out of 5 stars based on 20 verified reviews from Cool Kingston and TripAdvisor
We didn't have a lot of time in this part of Louisiana, so there was really only one plantation we could check out. We were not disappointed by our choice! Our tour guide, Cameron, did an excellent job of filling us in on the history of this site. The stories within stories were all very impressive as Cameron kept up a fascinating running commentary and description in an animated manner. Though it was likely his umpteenth time in leading a tour, he made it sound fresh. Walking beneath the giant oaks and wandering through the various buildings combined with the commentary gives the visitor a wonderful sense of life in its heyday. An afternoon well-spent!
This was an informative emotional outing for me.......
Really great tour and place..this really focuses on the family like most plantation tours in Louisiana however unlike most they do have some actually stories, pictures and artifacts from the slaves who lived there. The house and slave quarters are well preserved. They were going to repair mother in law house but a fire happened in the main that took all the money so I would go back when that was done. The tour guide was very nice and knowledgable. As far as overall experience I feel this plantation store is the best ..there are many food items for sale that are quite usually if you aren't from the area. I picked up some pecan oil and cane jelly two things that I didn't even know existed. The book selection is really great as well. Not only modern books but replicas of old books such as a slave cookbook, creole cookbook from back then and children's books from back then like toys and games played back then..this is worth a tour
Very enlightening tour. Learned alot
the tour was very in formative and our guide was the best. she was very emotional at some parts of the tour that made you feel she sincerely loves her job and the history that she shared with us.
super , visite en Français trois fois par jour a recommender
Tour guide was excellent. Loved the history.
This tour was amazing!
Our tour guide was amazing!
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814 COOL to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-6649LAURA
Similar Tours & Activities