Houmas House Plantation Walking Tour
Journey back in time at the Houmas House Plantation as you take a guided tour of the antebellum mansion, just a short drive from New Orleans, and learn about the old South. Costumed staff bring the period to life as they explain the history of this former sugar plantation, and you have time to walk around the lavish gardens before or after your mansion tour.
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Instant Confirmation
- Led by a local guide
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens, 40136 Highway 942, Darrow, LA 70725-2302
Guided mansion tours allow guests full access to the Houmas House estate. Dressed in period costumes, interactive tour guides tell the 250 year history of the mansion. Using artifacts, antiques and artwork, guests hear about life on this sugarcane plantation. Restaurants are available for breakfast, lunch and dinner at an additional cost. 38 acres of self-guided gardens are open to all guests who purchase a mansion tour ticket. Allow 2-3 hours to see everything Houmas House has to offer.
Duration: 3 hours
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: 40136 State Hwy 942, Darrow, LA 70725, USA
- Duration: 1 to 3 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Guided tour of plantation home
- Local guide
- Local taxes
- Entry/Admission - Houmas House Plantation and Gardens
- Food and drink (available for purchase)
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Houmas House is completely handicap accessible. Walking paths throughout the grounds make it easy for wheelchairs. Golf cart service is available upon request. The mansion is equipped with an elevator for guests not able to navigate stairs.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 67 verified reviews from Cool Kingston and TripAdvisor
Please don't hesitate to reach out to us and we'll always be happy to assist you with any of your future travel plans.
Thanks a lot for booking your tour on Cool Kingston
It was a pure joyful day spent on the grounds of the Houmas Plantation! Ended our afternoon there with a dinner at Latil’s where we enjoyed a delicious three course dinner. Our time there will be a cherished memory for me and my daughter’
Excellent tour! Would highly recommend, our tour guide Susan was very informative. We had lunch at the restaurant which was quite enjoyable.
This trip via Old South Tours was one of the favourite parts of our recent stay in New Orleans. Keith our driver was gentile. The trip was well organized as we received a day before call about a pick up change due to Mardi Gras. The house tour was excellent. The garden self tour beautiful and the buffet at their cafe was the best food that I had during our three day NOLA stay. Lauren was a great server and the atmosphere and service throughout the cafe first rate. Their mint juleps were excellent and a perfect way to end the day in this stunning antebellum planter's home. We are Bette Davis fans and loved the connection and stories surrounding her stay there.
This tour was fantastic. The initial selling point for me was that transportation was provided from New Orleans. However, after we got there, the grounds, the tour guide, Liz, and the restaurant were simply excellent. I honestly believe this tour offers a good representation of plantation life. The absence of evidence of slave residence is regrettable, but that cannot be helped. Southern history is more complicated that most folks want to admit. I would take this tour again in a heartbeat.
This is well worth the ride up to this beautiful and famous plantation home.
tour guide was very knowledgeable thereby adding to the interest of the tour. well worth seeing.
What a great Plantation. Fantastic House and Grounds. Excellent Tour Guide in the house. Very knowledable, informnative and in period costume.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814 COOL to speak with a Destination Specialist.
Product code: COOL-6643PLANT
Similar Tours & Activities